As a participant of GSV Ventures Bootcamp, I had the honor to attend an extremely knowledgable and motivational talk by Guy Kawasaki, Chief Evangelist of Canva. Here are my takeways from Guy Kawasaki’s speech, I take them as a step-by-step guide on how to build your startup and ship your product right. Just follow the next steps:
- Start small and build MVVVP where M= minimal, V=viable, V=valuable, V=validating, P= product.
- Get going. Get it out there! Ship it! As an entrepreneur your job is to DO IT.
- Make a mantra. Canva’s mantra is “democratize design”. Guy’s is “empower people”. What’s your and your product’s mantra?
- Define a business model. Keep it simple. A good business model is very specific. It’s best if you can name exactly the decision maker to buy your product.
- Prioritize. Worry about big things. Designing business cards for your startup is a good idea but it shouldn’t be your priority.
- Tell your story. Make it personal.
- Hire passionate people. They may not have a perfect background but they need to love what you do. Hire them.
- Marketing and social media.
- Find true influencers. They don’t necessarily have to be CXOs. They are the people who do real work. Middles and bottoms.
- Say no to naysayers. Don’t let the bozos grind you down. Especially rich and powerful bozos who may not know better than you.
A succinct and clear roadmap for an entrepreneur. Just do it now!
P.S Check out Guy Kawasaki’s Remarkable People Podcast.